Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Jack's New Neighbor

Jack was a young sailor. He lived in England, but he was often away with his ship.
One summer, he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbors near his mother's house. They had a pretty daughter and Jack soon loved her very much.
He said to her, "My next voyage will begin in few days' time, Gloria. I love you, and I'll marry you when I come back. I'll think about you all the time, and I'll write to you and send you a present from every port."
Jack's first post was Freetown in Africa, and he sent Gloria a parrot from there. It spoke five languages.
When Jack's ship reached Australia, there was a letter from Gloria. It said, "Thank you for the parrot, Jack. It tasted much better than a chicken."

(Taken from : Intermediate Reading Comprehension, L.A. Hill)

No comments:

Post a Comment